Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• I am a newcomer to the site.
    by Writewayze at 10:26 on 05 February 2008
    Hello everyone,

If you can stumble whilst sitting in a chair, 'surfing' the net, then I stumbled across WriteWords. It seems to be a lively site, with plenty to keep me occupied and maybe even inspire; although I should be writing of course.

I came from 'Mywriterscircle', of which I am still a member. Nothing particularly inspirational seems to come from that. It's a friendly enough place and is a showcase I suppose. So I won't leave it. I did have a fit and bought the Webmaster's method for writing any book in 28 Days. What I expected from that I don't know. To be honest it didn't tell me anything I wasn't already aware of. I just realised I had to apply myself. From that aspect it is possible to do the job in a month.

I've been writing since the 1960's, with some success; mostly shorts, articles and true-life reminicences. My main sales have been to woodwork magazines, writing up projects and for a time, as a member of an advisory panel. Arthritis stops me from working at the bench now, so my fiction is getting more attention.

Recently I had a story published in 'Spinetingler' ezene, (Recently? Hmmm... It's about twelve months ago I think!) That was a horror-story and I don't think I liked it much after I read it online.

Some writing pals say I am lucky, because I have Naval and Police experiences to draw upon when cooking up my fictive dreams. That maybe so, but it still demands I research for some things, as laws and practices change over the years. Then of course, any book still has to be written. For that one needs, among other things, spousal support. One doesn't always get that support!

Hidden in a box in my loft there are three or four first-draft novels. Hidden they will stay, as they are rubbish. In a folder on my PC there are more drafts and 'false-starts'. These might or might not get finished. I have yards of 'How-to' writing books, which all say much the same things. I note that only four are written by authors whom I recognise. (King, Koontz, Block and Bickham.) I wonder why so many obscure novelists write fiction guides? I still read some of those books, but mainly to inspire and remind myself of my aims.

Currently I am trying to breathe life into my character, 'Josh Cullen'. He is an ex Special Boat Service Colour-Sergeant, who lives on his own boat. He dreams of sailing around the world, but becomes embroiled in fighting a plot to smother Glasgow in a huge cloud of nerve gas. (Nothing against Glasgow, my Scottish friends!) I just love the idea of setting a 'sea-flavoured' thriller up in the seductive, and remote Western Isles. Not original? Well, for a start, I haven't revealed all of the storyline! Also, it's my character and my story, so I will do my best! Besides, there's nothing new under the Sun?

I own 'writing-software' programs, but none of them do any more than help sort out ideas and outlines. That can be done in any good word-processor if you make yourself some templates. All it demands is organisation; without which it's difficult to be a productive writer at all.

I have one great pal whom I write to in America (NYC). He's an ex-pat Scot in fact and we inspire each other to keep at it. I also trust his honest opinions of my work. I wanted contact with even more like-minds; people who are as serious about this as me, so I decided to give WriteWords a try. Maybe even my blog might get some attention! If this 'pans out', I will let my plastic blink in the light and become a full member.

If you would like to see a snippet of my work, I have posted one short-short, about a computer illiterate 'hit-man'.

Oh! I almost forgor. I write under the name of John Barr.
    I apologise for 'going on a bit'.. and It's nice to meet you all.

Happy Writing.

"Never procrastinate; remember... Tomorrow is promised to no one."
  • Re: I am a newcomer to the site.
    by Babs at 11:25 on 05 February 2008
    Hi I am also new to this sight I have been a writer for seven years now I too saw Write Words whilst I was surfing the net
    by Writewayze at 12:46 on 05 February 2008
    Welcome from me then Babs..
    I hope to see some posts!
    Cheers
    John
    by EmmaD at 13:05 on 05 February 2008
    Welcome to both! Have a look round, and call on Dee or Nik the Site Hosts if you have any questions.

Emma
    by susieangela at 14:13 on 05 February 2008
    Welcome, John and Babs -
    I joined a few months ago and it's been great.
    Thanks, John for reading my pieces and commenting - that's really appreciated. Will look at yours asap.
    Sounds like you've got a great storyline to work with, given your experience. Good luck with it!
    Susiex
    by Writewayze at 14:55 on 05 February 2008
    Thanks Susie,

I have plenty of lurid prose to post. I need to find the courage though.
    My background is a curse at times. Ocasionally, I watch some programme on TV that I feel is drivel, because Police procedure, or Naval detail isn't portrayed properly. Then I annoy my wife by talking to the screen. Aw come on... We all shout at the telly now and again. Don't we?

I am making a few mistakes here too...

I answer a post and then I find another I also want to answer. I end up with three posts one after the other. I hope I am not going to be considered as 'voluable'.
    Should that come to pass, I can always drown my sorrows in oil paint I suppose.

Happy Writing and thanks again.

John

by susieangela at 15:03 on 05 February 2008
    I was just the same when I joined - eager to join in with everything. And that's what keeps the site alive.
    Susiex
    by Nik Perring at 17:28 on 08 February 2008
    Welcome aboard!

Nik
    by fluffybunny at 20:37 on 10 February 2008
    Welcome aboard both of you. I joined late last year having written absolutely nothing before but having a real desire to. Since then I have had so much support and advice I just keep on coming back for more - I love this site!
    Whatever you write you'll find someone who'll be happy enough to give you their view.
    Enjoy it - it is only a sucessful site due to its members! And their desire to help others in exactly the same boat!
    Kindest regards
    Jeanette