Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Hello.......
    by Santana at 12:25 on 19 January 2008
    Hi everybody, just thought I would join the throng and hope that some of your brilliance rubs off on me. I am an artist, but have just written a childrens book set in 1902 - around a series of paintings which I did about the adventures of a white dog. The dog was stolen one day, and during his subsequent adventures he made friends with (and chatted with) several animals, ( two cats, a mouse and a police horse)etc, etc.then it has a happy ending. I have sent it off to several Agents who have all 'rejected' it, but some have advised me to persevere, so I am going to do just that. I am now approaching Publishers direct (those that one can) so I live in hope. I had intended (in fact I have written the first three chapters) of a sequel. I was told that one should never write a 'sequel' to a story - is that good advice or not?
  • Re: Hello.......
    by NMott at 12:39 on 19 January 2008
    Welcome to Write Words, Santana.
    I have no problems with sequels, especially in fantasy childrens and other genre books, eg. crime, where they are de rigeur, if the shelves in Waterstones are anything to go by. Persoanlly I see it as good training for a writer. In bk.1 You have the characters and their world set up and in Bk.2 can concentrate on developing their personalities and antics. You might find that after bk.2 or even Bk.3, you could combine the stories into a much stronger book.
    All best with it. Hope to see your work on the Group forums at some point.

- NaomiM
    by Dee at 13:46 on 19 January 2008
    Welcome, Santana... there's a name to live up to!

There are plenty of excellent children's writers on here, so you're in the right place if you need help and feedback. You'll pick up a lot, too, if you read and comment on the work of other members.

Dee
    by Santana at 17:19 on 19 January 2008
    Many thanks, folks. It is very refreshing to have encouragement - and hope !

As a matter of interest has anyone here been involved with the Childrens literary Agency?
    by Dee at 17:38 on 19 January 2008
    Check out their entry on Preditors and Editors:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealc.htm

You have to scroll down the page quite a way, but you’ll spot it by all the red writing!

Dee
    by NMott at 17:47 on 19 January 2008
    If that's the one with someone who's name is reminiscent of a fine, fortified wine, I almost got sucked in. Definitely check out the Preditors and Editors link that Dee has put up.

- NaomiM
    by Santana at 20:36 on 19 January 2008
    Well, it is interesting to hear that others nearly got sucked in - I went in as far as the critique before I found out what was happening. The really sad thing is that they are advertising on this page. Scroll down the left column to the last item, click on their web and you will find it is now called WLlitery Agency, and yes Sherry Vine is still there!
    by NMott at 21:25 on 19 January 2008
    Yes, it's Google Ads fault. Any website that signs up with it has no choice over the adverts they put on it.
    I got suckered via Bloomsbury's website - you'd think a respectable company like that wouldn't need to clutter up their website with such things.

NaomiM
    by Santana at 21:51 on 19 January 2008
    You are right - mind you we cannot blame Google for everything - I found that Agency in the Artists' & Writers Year book 2007 !
    It just goes to show - don't believe anything you see, nevermind how respectable it looks, Check ! Check ! Check ! That is my philosophy now. In fact the reason I found this site (accidentally !) was because I had seen the web page for WriteWords and thought it sounded good, and I was trying to check it out before I spent £27.50. I do like what I have seen now, so I think I will become a full member.
    by RT104 at 06:19 on 20 January 2008
    Hello, Santana, just saying 'welcome'. Have you asked your question about sequels in the Chidren's group?

Have fun here, and good luck finding a publisher.

Rosy
    by Santana at 11:56 on 20 January 2008
    Hi Rosy, no I haven't, but it is a good idea, Many thanks.
    by Lollypop at 23:07 on 02 February 2008
    Hi Santana

From a publishers point of view - write the sequel, and the next one. I prefer to see where you want a story to go. I am a firm believer that if a seed of a story is implanted in a writers mind then one book can very rarely contain it.

Enjoy your writing

Lollypop