Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Is it possible my brain is not just mashed potato?
    by rebecca at 22:37 on 01 December 2007
    Hello all

I am a temporary member as I am in denial about any possibility that I might be able to write so don't want to spend any money to depressingly find I can't!

After the initial thrill of finding I can use just my name as a log in (first time *ever*) I have found the amount of info on here mind boggling.

I just wondered if there are many mums out there trying to get started in writing? I have 4 children and have therefore got no time whatsoever and wondering where on earth to start. I have written bits and bobs, along the lines of articles and columns in free or low circulation mags.

I have got writers block before even starting as I haven't ever built up the courage to put pen to paper/ finger to keypad to start any one of my 5 million ideas for creative writing. I look at the groups and don't know where to start - I don't know what to write, what I might be good at etc. I guess I just have to sit down and do it. eek.

Sorry, off rambling now - hello to all and hoping for empathy and/or inspiration.

Rebecca
  • Re: Is it possible my brain is not just mashed potato?
    by Dee at 23:21 on 01 December 2007
    Hello Rebecca, and welcome to WW.

Please don’t feel daunted by the site – it’s not as complicated as it looks. Nik Perring and I are here to help you find your way around, so mail us if you get stuck – or post a thread in any relevant forum.

There are oodles of parents on here, some published, some not. My advice is, rather than looking for people with the same lifestyle as yourself, have a look at the groups that resonate with the sort of stuff you want to write. If you can't decide what’s best, then say so and ask for advice – you’ll get it.

Dee
    by RT104 at 07:09 on 02 December 2007
    Hi Rebecca - welcome! I'm a mum, too - began writing after becoming one in my 40s, and finding that the old life of going out to meetings every night had come to an end, but that small kids sleep in the evenings (mine weren't babies, they were adopted, so it was a bit different from the physical exhaustion and up-all-night of tiny ones) so you have all this time stuck at home that you never had. Mind you, now that they are getting older (daughter one is now 11), the space between their bedtime and mine erodes constantly.... But equally, they get lazier in the mornings, so I have longer before they get up to steal quiet writing time, especially at weekends.

How old are all yours? Four is unimaginably many, to me - no wonder it's hard to find time to write! Are you working full time as well?

If you don't have a particular writing project in mind, why not try starting with some 'flash' fiction (very short short stories, often just one scene or idea)? There are several flash groups on here, and reading some, and writing some, might be a great way to get the creatve juices going, and get some feedback to encourage you to carry on, and that you're not wasting your time....

Good luck!

Rosy

by rebecca at 07:46 on 02 December 2007
    Hello

Thank you for your replies!

Dee, I think I was just looking around for someone to say that they have found it possible to write with young children and get any tips. I will look around the site properly today and read up and am more than willing to ask for help and advice! I think this site is just wonderful. It is inspirational already just to read a post from someone who has got to the heady heights of writing a book, having an agent and sending it to publishers!

Rosy, my children are 12, 7, 6 and 1 so I am getting up in the night still to the 1 year old and up at 6.30-7 and finding not a lot of time between the 12 year old going to sleep and crashing out myself! I do work but it is part time and flexible and I can do as much or little as I like (money allowing).

My local uni does a creative writing course that looks really good (it is joint honours degree) and I was thinking of doing that because you do a module in lots of different genre's and styles of writing and I thought it might help me to find my strengths. But... it is a big commitment to do a degree so before I sign up I thought I might see if there are other ways to find my strengths. I love all kinds of writing, but it makes it a bit tricky to actually sit down and do any! :-)

Thanks so much for reading and replying,

Rebecca
    by susieangela at 10:17 on 02 December 2007
    Hi Rebecca,
    I only joined six weeks or so ago and am so glad I did. My situation is opposite to yours - I have virtually no ties, so have no excuses not to write. Still find 'em, though!
    Don't have much to add to previous good advice - flash fiction sounds perfect for someone with not much time and lots of ideas and would be great for really honing writing skills.
    Re. joining WW/naming yourself as a writer/applying for a course - here's a quote which always inspires me:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills couintless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic and power in it. Begin it now."

Susie
    x
    by EmmaD at 10:32 on 02 December 2007
    Hi, Rebecca, and welcome to WW.

I have two children - they're big now, but were small when I started. It is hard, but it only takes little bits of time, assuming they're reasonably frequent, to write things.

I think Dee's suggestion of trying Flash is a good one - it doesn't take long to do a first draft, so you can try out anything that takes your fancy without too much commitment, and revising and re-drafting it can also happen in small bits of time. And it's incredibly good training. The other thing to ask yourself is what you like reading, and more importantly, what you read most of. That's a pretty infallible guide to what will probably turn out to be the kind of thing you want to write.

The course you're thinking of, as you say, sounds like a big commitment. There are shorter courses around, sometimes, again, structured round trying out lots of possibilities. I hardly dare suggest something residential like Arvon, but you might find something short and intensive kick-started you - sometimes it's easier to clear a week completely than guarantee empty Wednesdays for the next decade. The Open University also does various lengths and levels of course, which might be worth a look.

Emma
    by fluffybunny at 18:05 on 04 December 2007
    Hi Rebecca
    I joined as a temporary member at first but then splashed out the £35 to join and uploaded my first attempt - and got really useful and supportive feedback. I'm a mum of 4 and work too so not much time to write, have you thought about writing a book WITH your children? Ask them what they would want a story about. A box of chocolates that never ends, a superhero for a dad, becoming a magical princess etc you probably know what kind of stories your kids enjoy so try writing one of those and ask your audience what they think. My younger two LOVE it - they are always coming up with ideas and think that their mum writing stories is dead cool. So what happens is they let me get on with the writing so I get more time to do it. Cunning plan I find!!!
    Good luck - look forward to seeing some of your work - I'm in the young chldrens section as this is all I get time to read - ie picture books not novels any more!!!
    Kind regards
    Jeanette
    by sandpiper at 14:03 on 13 December 2007
    Hello!

I'm a newbie as well..... and a mom, though only of 1 so far, not 4 like you! Must be hard trying to find the time to write!

I started writing in earnest when my daughter was about 6 months old, so I've been going for about 8 months now. My only available time slot is about an hour and a half most days during her nap. Occasionally I arrange with my husband to have some time off on the weekend so I can have a longer session. So, slowly but surely I have been plugging away at it, and I'm delighted to have reached the first milestone of completing the first draft. I never have time to do housework, though. Gotta make choices! For the first six months of my child's life, I did all the laundry and housework and cooking etc, and no writing, and I was miserable.... and then I decided to ditch the housework and just put up with having a messy house, and now I am much happier :-)

Good luck!
    Sandpiper
    by NMott at 17:17 on 13 December 2007
    Housework? - remind me again what that involves?

Welcome to WW, Sandpiper.

- NaomiM

by fluffybunny at 21:43 on 13 December 2007
    Hey Sandpiper ... all I can say is it gets easier as they get older but mine are now 6, 8, 14 & 16 so that's probably not much help????
    I remember just having the one and use nap times to the most - have a bath, wash and blow dry your hair (ha ha) watch a movie (yeah right!) read a book (oh if only) or just catch up on the jobs you NEVER have time to do (washing, putting stuff away etc etc!)
    but if you find time to scribble/type you are achieving much more than other mums so go for it. You are in charge of your own destiny why not be a writer?
    Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your work - even if it is in draft (after being written on an empty nappy box!!!)
    Kind reagrds
    Jeanette
    by di2 at 04:51 on 22 December 2007
    Hi Rebecca, Welcome to WW.

I did a week-end workshop about a year ago and the teacher suggested to me to write a "Writer's Journal". It really clicked with me. The Writer's Journal has now become a monthly Blog. It's all the same sort of thing really. It gets you to put pen to paper in a non-threatening way. It also gives you somewhere to place "patchwork" pieces to sew into your tapestry later.

Little "baby steps" lead to bigger steps which leads to getting where you are going. Look for the 30 minute slice of time. The whole half day or full day is often filled with the "should do's" and the needs of others. The treasured 15-30 minute moments can add up to something surprisingly good. Often when I've had a whole day to do my "work" I've been so overwhelmed with ideas that I can't get my act together. When I have little moments I allow myself to narrow my focus.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes for your writing, WW is a good place to be,

Di2