Login   Sign Up 

• New playwrights` literary agents
    by sre at 11:16 on 07 November 2007
    Any other new playwrights out there? I am writing for the London fringe and hoping to get literary agents to see my work; do you have any tips or success stories - did you get a good agent this way & do they come to see fringe plays?

Also, do the bigger lit agencies show an interest and if so which ones? Thank you.
  • Re: New playwrights` literary agents
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:37 on 07 November 2007
    Hi, welcome. I did get my agent exactly that way- had a play on at a fringe venue, got great reviews and got an agent- and he was a biggie; William Morris Agency. (In fact he was/is Daniel Radcliffe's dad, now his manager.) But that was also because I concentrated a lot on publicity so he knew about the play- not sure it's so easy now, given that there are loads more fringe venues. What sort of places are you writing for/having your work on at?
  • Re: getting agent for fringe plays
    by sre at 12:12 on 08 November 2007
    Anna, thanks for reply. I am hoping to do initial public readings (to which literary agents are invited)at the Calder Bookshop opposite the Young Vic. A reading would be no more than a calling card to whet the agents' appetite for a stage show!
    My 2 longest scripts (of 3 so far) are around 75 mins plus interval ie 90mins so I've been advised not to bother sending them to regional repertory theatres due to not being long enough.
    Theatre 503/Pentameters/Finborough/Old Red Lion all have my scripts and theres Tabard in Turnham Green and Greenwich Playhouse. I must consider whether venues are likely to get agents coming. I feel my stuff is too mainstream for the Bush.
    As a former actor I am going to produce and direct both the 75 min comedy pieces. As you say, publicity is crucial - and some major agents won't read emails (eg Judy Daish)from unsolicited writers,so it may be worth hiring a PR or publicity & press adviser to advertise my shows,once I have the stage/s in 2008. And agents may come - do you think?
  • Re: New playwrights` literary agents
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:54 on 09 November 2007
    Hey, that all sounds good- and some really good PRs will work for a low price if they like the script/idea, the one I worked with did and she was great. (Although that was, ahem, a long time ago, so the climate might have changed.) Have you tried Paines Plough? they're great at getting exposure for new or not well known writers whose work isn't mainstream- I know what you mean about the Bush, and the Court is similiarly odd in its programming at the moment. And 503 is getting a really good name for itself. Have you also looked at regional venues? I know it's best for agents to get to London theatres, but you might also get somewhere with places like Plymouth Drum, Birmingham Rep (The Door), and other interesting venues.
  • Re: New literary agents
    by sre at 21:25 on 09 November 2007
    Thanks again for feedback - you say your PR adviser was a while ago but I was wondering if there's a particular PR company/ies who are theatre-enthusiastic; I will eventually join the ITC as an independent producer, but that's further on..also I doubt if literary agents would come out to Greenwich or Turnham Green, especially if they're not London based..and an agent seems my only progress route, but I'll send Paines Plough my MSS.
  • Re: New playwrights
    by sre at 13:47 on 16 November 2007
    Hi again Anna, after sending them a precis, Richmond Orange Tree (which is a producing theatre) have told me they are particularly interested to read one of my new plays ('A Suitable Lover', about an author dictating a story); this is the first real interest I've had since The White Bear rang in 2005 offering a late night slot for 'Limehouse'(about an actor seeing a shrink - but the slot and casting didn't work out in the end). Onward & upward! This is positive news. Do you still write plays or are you in other media?