Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: hello and help!
    by Prospero at 11:12 on 24 October 2007
    Ooops!

I don't quite know how that happened, but here are the instructions that should have accompanied that first post. My apologies for the confusion.

Here are the steps required to create a link from a story title in a Forum announcement to the actual story itself.

1. Once you are in WriteWords go to the top right of the screen and click on the link My WriteWords .

2. With the My WriteWords screen open, scroll down to the area Currently Uploaded Work , find the story you want to link to and click on | View |. Your story will be displayed.

3. Just above the WriteWords screen you will see something like: htpp://www.writewords.org.uk/archive/13364.asp.

4. Highlight (click and drag) everything to the right of the ‘//’ that is the
    www.writewords.org.uk/archive/13364.asp

when you have highlighted it press the Control and c keys on your keyboard together to copy it.

5. Open a dialogue box, similar to the one you opened to pose this query and type in your Forum post. For example:
    This is my entry for the Week 14 Challenge ‘Red, White and Blue’.

6.Highlight the title of the story. TopTip: Highlight from right to left. If you highlight from left to right you almost always get the space immediately after the title included in the title and then that gets underlined when you create the link. Looks messy and unprofessional.

7. Leaving the story title 'highlighted' go to the top of the dialogue box and click the cursor in the box that has the chain link in it. That is the one between the Underline and the Quotes. You will see a new dialogue box open at the top left of the screen. In the box is the highlighted http:/ / and white space to the right of it. Put your cursor in this box just after the http:/ / and click. This will remove the highlight from the http:/ /. Then press the Control and V keys together and this should paste the link in to the box so that you have
    htpp://www.writewords.org.uk/archive/13364.asp.

8. Click on the ‘O.K.’ button to close the dialogue box in the top left corner of the screen.

9. Now go to the dialogue box that you have written your Forum post in and you should see something like this.
    This is my entry for the Week 14 Challenge ‘Red, White and Blue’

10. Go to the bottom of the dialogue box and click on the ‘Preview’ button. If all has gone according to plan, you should see this just above the dialogue box
    This is my entry for the Week 14 Challenge ‘Red, White and Blue’.

If you click on the link your story should be displayed.

11. Very Important! Once you have proved the link works, use the ‘Back’ arrow at the top left of the screen to take you back to the dialogue box and this time click on the ‘Submit’ button to submit your Forum post. Failure to do this means you have to start all over again.

Best

John
    by susieangela at 15:23 on 24 October 2007
    Yikes, Prospero!
    Thanks so much for all this info. It may take me a while to process it as I'm a total technophobe and am only just getting to grips with my laptop. Really appreciate it, and will try it out when I feel more computer-litrit.
    Susiex
    by Prospero at 16:41 on 24 October 2007
    good luck. Let me know if you need any help.

Best

John
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2