Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Is there anybody out there?
    by Ruby Blue at 17:13 on 17 October 2007
    Just signed up and want to see how this all works. I am trying to finish my first novel -87,000 words to date. How does anyone else stay motivated without an lucrative book deal to encourage them?
    RB
  • Re: Is there anybody out there?
    by NMott at 18:15 on 17 October 2007
    However much I'd like one of them 'lucrative book deals' (assuming they exist for mere mortals like me ) in reality I'd find it very restrictive, having to chun out the next book within a deadline. I'm far more motivated chundering along on my lil'onesome.

<Added>

I suppose the lure of a book deal is the thought of having enough of an advance to be able to give up work and write full time. The reality is that the advance is rarely, if ever, enough to make that economically viable, and, having spent time out of work, the 'luxury' of being able to write full time does lose it's appeal after a while - or maybe that's just me ;)
    by Ruby Blue at 18:21 on 17 October 2007
    Thanks for replying. I find I am more focused and more efficient with my writing time if I have a finite deadline. Perhaps it is the journo in me. Money aside, writing for an audience is surely motivation?
    RB
    by NMott at 18:25 on 17 October 2007
    Apologies, Ruby, I added something to my last post while you were replying to the earlier bit.

Yes, deadlines are good for the soul

<Added>

Writing for an audience? Hmmm, yes I can see that would be fun - so long as you are still writing for yourself, and not straight jacketed into a 'brand'.

<Added>

I think a book deal would motivate me through the editing (yuk) rather than the writing - the writing is the easy/fun bit.
    by Dee at 18:38 on 17 October 2007
    Hello Ruby, and welcome to WW.

Unfortunately you have to be some kind of celeb or ex Prime Minister to get a lucrative deal for a debut novel. The rest of us are lucky to get any sort of a deal, lucrative or otherwise.

However, it doesn’t stop us writing. It might occasionally knock us bandy for a while but we keep going because there is no alternative. We write because we have to. Simple as that.

However, you can boost your motivation levels by joining a group – have a mooch around and see which one would fit you best – and becoming interactive with the other members. Once you become a full member you can access the Lounge or the PM (no, not the aforesaid ex) forums and celebrate/commiserate all the ups and downs of being a novelist.

Dee
    by Ruby Blue at 18:49 on 17 October 2007
    Thanks Dee. I realise that there is no money in writing - it is suppose to be better for the soul that way.
    This is great - feels like being in an office without the work bit.
    RB
    by foundit at 20:20 on 17 October 2007
    Hi Ruby,

I'm in the (un- um! not quiet sure) fortunate position
    to be retired, (ill Health) however it allows me to feed my passion for writing.

In grammer I may lack skills,
    with a pen in hand my mind races from page to page leaving my thoughts behind.

I can only hope to entertain others.

It makes me laugh sometimes to read what I've written as the pen seems to have a mind of it's own.

All the best.

Joe.

by Account Closed at 20:38 on 17 October 2007
    Hi Ruby, and welcome.

Lucrative book deal, eh? Personally, I think I'm more likely to discover that leprechauns exist. But at the mo' I keep going with thoughts of travel to the frozen outskirts of antartica, with camera. Who knows, it might inspire something!

As Dee has pointed out, there are many groups here, which you might like to try. They cover many interests and types of writing.

Good luck!

by Ruby Blue at 10:41 on 18 October 2007
    Hi Joe,
    Don't you just love that feeling of having created something of which you have no idea where it came from?
    RB
    by Ruby Blue at 10:43 on 18 October 2007
    Hi Juliet,

If we don't dream what's the point? Surely writing is the purest form of an alternate existence. Who needs to create a cyber persona to have a new life when we can hammer out an entire cast of family and friends on a keyboard?
    by Account Closed at 12:33 on 18 October 2007
    >>Surely writing is the purest form of an alternate existence.

Probably. Then there's drugs, but I'm a good girl.

As for dreams, I've heard them called delusions of grandur, but i'll be the one laughing when I'm ice diving!!

To dreams!

And happy writing RB. I hope you enjoy the site,

Juliet.

<Added>

actually, I'll be the one shivering when ice diving ;)
    by Dee at 17:56 on 18 October 2007
    Ice diving, Juliet?

Wow! Tell us more.

Dee
    by Account Closed at 18:20 on 18 October 2007
    Tis but a plot, a plan, and a dream...

For the curious: http://www.underwater.com.au/article.php/id/1549/

I reckon in about 3 years, if kiddie winkies don't get in the way too much.
    by Dee at 18:33 on 18 October 2007
    Go for it, girl. It looks wonderful.

by Account Closed at 19:28 on 18 October 2007
    Thanks. If I'm still kicking around WW I'll put some pics up, or summat. Was diving around Lamu archipelago recently, but forgot the underwater camera. Could kick meself sometimes
  • This 25 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >