Login   Sign Up 

• greetings
    by wyf of bath at 11:43 on 11 September 2007
    hello everyone
    i have just joined with part membership to see if i can find some motivation and confidence. i write, always have, but suffer from long periods of believing myself to be crap!! i am a medieval historian and also have a degree in english and creative writing. i've written two historical novels, the first of which falls far short of my own expectation and the second of which i have put on the shelf to revisit in a month or two. i find that if i leave my work and re read it after a break it seems fresher and it is easier to view it objectively. ive read some of the work that you people have posted and am very impressed. my poetry isnt very good but i am compelled to write it, it serves as a method of self analysis :D
    anyway i am blathering so i will hush up and read some of your postings.
    have a good day :D

• Re: greetings
    by Nik Perring at 16:02 on 11 September 2007
    Hi Judith and welcome. A medieval historian sounds rather exciting! There's plenty on offer her by way of motivation - the best, from my experience, would be to join a group.

And yes, leaving stories for a while before coming back to them can help enormously; like seeing it with new eyes.

If there's anything on the site you need any help with then give either me or Dee Weaver a shout - we're both here to help.

Enjoy!

Nik.
    by caro55 at 16:46 on 11 September 2007
    Welcome Judith - nice to see another history person on board!

We have a small historical fiction group here - it's a bit quiet at the moment as I think a few people are away, but when it gets going it is really helpful.

Looking forward to reading some of your work.

Caro
    by EmmaD at 17:24 on 11 September 2007
    Hi, Judith, and welcome to WW.

I've just spent some of the last two years in the late 15th century, for my new novel, so it's nice to see a profesional here. Shelving things for a while can be immensely helpful, you're so right: best of luck with it when you take it down again.

Emma

<Added>

or even a professional
    by Lammi at 18:55 on 11 September 2007
    Hi, Judith. Like your blog! Nice to see a fellow organic gardener here.
    by Account Closed at 22:42 on 11 September 2007
    Welcome,Judith, i'm sure we all have our moments of thinking we're crap!

Enjoy the site
    by caro55 at 22:47 on 11 September 2007
    i'm sure we all have our moments of thinking we're crap!

Yeah, my moment has lasted nearly 32 years so far.
    by wyf of bath at 09:14 on 12 September 2007
    good morning
    thanks for the warm welcome. i'll have more time for this when ive got my son settled into uni next week. that will leave me with only one teenager at home to contend with, it will seem oddly quiet after having a houseful for twenty seven years. i plan to do so much more writing but then i remember saying that when each of them started nursery! :D

enjoy your day!
    by RT104 at 16:01 on 12 September 2007
    Hello, Judith - welcome, and I hope you'll love it on WW.

(I'm also an organic veg growing freak.)

Rosy x