Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Introduction
    by Augusta at 20:51 on 29 August 2007
    Hello All,
    I am a serious writer - that is, I am a serious person who writes and, also, a person who writes who is serious about her writing! I have 'flirted' with one or two other sites but have found them to be generally unsatisfactory in that the quality of the work posted has been poor and the expertise of those offering so-called professional advice has left more than a little to be desired. What can this site offer me that will make it worth my while to invest my very precious time in contributing? (For me, this is much more important than the financial consideration.) The offer of a initial free memberhip period only assists up to a point since much of what appears to be on offer cannot be accessed until after a commitment has been made. I would be interested to hear from members of some standing as to the benefits they have derived. My interest lies mainly in poetry. Many thanks in anticipation. Augusta
  • Re: Introduction
    by NMott at 20:58 on 29 August 2007
    I wouldn't worry about the parts of WW which you cannot access, a lot of it is gossip and letting one's hair down after a hard day's writing, and if that's not your 'thing' then you're not missing much. The 'serious' writing forums are accessible on a one month trial.

- NaomiM

<Added>

PS. I would recommend checking this thread out:

http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/108_175055.asp
    by Nik Perring at 11:16 on 30 August 2007
    Hi Augusta. To start off with you get everything in the buttons at the top of the page: Groups, Jobs and Opps, a Directory, News, Interviews etc etc. You all also get to be involved with a site which, I think, caters for all levels of writing - amateur, beginner, self-published, international selling novelist... There's a wealth of experience and advice and support. It's certainly improved both my knowledge of writing and knowledge of the industry.

As for your specific interest in poetry - there's a well maintained directory of poetry publishers (small presses, anthologies, mags et al) and at least four different poetry groups. And, of course, some great poets.

This is by far the best writers' site I've come across.

Hope that's helped.

Nik.
    by snowbell at 13:34 on 30 August 2007
    I suggest you join the poetry forum on a one month trial like Naomi suggests. That way you can tell if what you are getting suits your needs or not. The inaccessible parts of the site are sometimes useful and entertaining but it sounds like the groups are what you are looking for if you are looking for serious critting etc.
    by Tracy at 19:36 on 30 August 2007
    Hi Augusta,
    Although I am not a long standing member I have found this site to be both friendly and informative. I learn something everytime I visit and, for me at least, the monetary outlay was well worth it.
    Join a group, look at other members submissions and the comments made about them and you will see that we are all here to help one another and improve our own writing talents. We have fun along the way, but the words and advice are all serious.
    Take care
    Tracy