Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Hi everyone
    by franziskaner at 12:32 on 10 August 2007
    Hi everyone,

I have been working on my first novel for almost a year now and must confess that getting consistent feedback from people has become somewhat of a challenge in itself. Then I recently stumbled upon this site!

I would love to join one of the workgroups but i'm not really sure which genre my work would fit into.

Since reading Tolkein as a youth I have always wanted to create my own world with my own cultures and mythology. My world has a similar level of technology, culture and religion to earth some 2000 years ago but totally different geography!

However there is no magic, goblins, wizards or dragons on my world (I find humans interesting enough!) so I dont know that I really fit into the fantasy genre

As a child I was weaned on fantasy by the likes of David Eddings and Tad Williams but my more recent influences are David Gemmell (Heroic fantasy) and the likes of Bernard Cornwell and Stephen Pressfield (Historical fiction)

You could say that I am writing an historical fiction book set on a mythical world

I originally had a synopsis for 3 novels of 120,000 words each but I am already on 100,000 words (and only half way through the first novel)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tony
  • Re: Hi everyone
    by NMott at 15:12 on 10 August 2007
    Welcome to the site, Tony

With regard to which group to join, I suggest going for one that looks busy, then you should get a decent number of reviews.

Good luck with the writing

- NaomiM
    by debac at 22:21 on 15 August 2007
    Welcome to the site, Tony. I don't think it matters very much which group you join, but as Naomi says, join one which seems active. The whole site is a bit quiet because it's August and school hols, but will soon pick up again, I'm sure.

You could try Novel 1 or Novel 2, if they have spaces, or Fantasy, or Historical, cos it doesn't really matter if you don't completely fall into the category - people will still be able to give feedback. Just see which one appeals...

Naomi, I'd call it feedback or criticism - to me a review is something quite different so I'm surprised you use that term. Not saying you're wrong - just surprised.
    Deb
    by NMott at 22:39 on 15 August 2007
    'feedback, review, critique' - all the same thing to me deb.
    Surprised you see a difference - not like it's being sent off to Cornerstones for a propper report or anything

<Added>

Actually, I would draw the line at calling it 'critisism'. I find 'critique' a little less threatening.

:)
    by Dee at 07:15 on 16 August 2007
    Hi Tony, and welcome to the site.

If you need any help finding your way around the site, give Nik Perring or me a shout… although he’s sunning himself on a beach somewhere at the moment

The best way to chose a group is to read as much as you can of what’s uploaded in them – including the feedback given – and see which group of members you feel drawn to.

Dee
    by franziskaner at 15:29 on 17 August 2007
    thanks for all the advice.

I've been reading through the uploaded work on a few of the recommended groups and my work is probably closest to the fantasy

Can anyone tell me if you can join more than one group at a time?

Cheers
    by Dee at 18:04 on 17 August 2007
    You can only join one group while on the free one-month trial. After that, as many as you have the time for.

Dee