Login   Sign Up 

• illustration and design
    by Céline at 14:27 on 16 July 2007
    hi everyone,
    i'm a graphic designer and illustrator and i'd like to offer my services to anyone looking for book cover designs or illustrations. (i hope i'm in the right place!). please send me an email if you're interested or check out my myspace page for illustration and design samples: www.myspace.com/sayleen1
    thanks!
  • Re: illustration and design
    by Account Closed at 14:43 on 16 July 2007
    Welcome to the site, Celine.

You could also post this in the Commercial Noticeboard forum.

Casey
    by Céline at 14:45 on 16 July 2007
    hey, thanks Casey. i'll do that.
    by Dee at 17:21 on 16 July 2007
    Hi Celine, and welcome.

Yes, see if you can post this in the Commercial forum, but be aware that it’s only open to certain levels of membership. If you're on a free trial period, I don’t think you be able to post there.

Dee
    by Nik Perring at 18:45 on 16 July 2007
    Welcome to the site!

Fab to have an illustrator with us. I'm curious to know how it works from your end though. As I understood it it's the publishers who commission artists and sucklike, rather than the authors - I've never even met with the one who did mine.

Off to have a nosy at your myspace page...

Nik.
    by Céline at 19:13 on 16 July 2007
    hiya Nik
    yes it is usually the publishers who commission the design of the book. i thought i'd go straight to the source though - see what the writers think about choosing their own illustrator/designer. i've worked for a design company for 7 years (designing corporate brochures and newsletters mostly - with the odd exhibition here and there). i'm only starting to break out into freelance in the last year so i can work on more exciting and diverse designs than corporate brochures. i'm putting feelers out to find writers and musicians who need creative and inexpensive designs for bookcovers/bookmarks/album sleeves etc. it helps to fill more pages in my portfolio and i get to keep doing what i love doing!

hope you had a good nosy around my myspace page - i had a bit of a nosy around yours!

by Nik Perring at 19:16 on 16 July 2007
    Yup, the nosey was good. Very impressed! Especially like the polar bears and the self port.

Nik
    by Céline at 19:26 on 16 July 2007
    cheers Nik!
    by Nik Perring at 10:51 on 17 July 2007
    Just a thought - there are a few on here who self publish who may be interested in your work. It might be worth mentioning in the Lounge and, as has already been suggested, the commercial notice board - both of which I think can only be accessed by full members.

Good to have you on the site.

Nik.

by Scott the Writer at 16:11 on 02 August 2007
    I'm an illustrator also but I find most designs for publications are commissioned by an art director/buyer at a publishing house.

I enjoy writing but I don't know how much time I'll get to dedicate to it but I like to think I'm all around creative so I can apply that to both my design work and written. I know I have the ability to visually create my ideas but the new challenge is to see if I can apply the same level of skill to writing?
    work

<Added>

Do you have a webpage? Mine is www.evansvisualarts.com
    by Dee at 17:55 on 02 August 2007
    Scott, hello and welcome.

I have the ability to visually create my ideas

Many writers, including myself, use this ability. I visualise a scene and then record it. Sounds simple, I know, but it works for a lot of us. It’s a great way to create the texture of a story – the sights, sounds, smells, atmosphere - as well as conveying the plot. Try it - you might be surprised.

Dee
    by geoffmorris at 18:09 on 02 August 2007
    Hi Scott,

Just had a look at your site and have to say that if you can write as well as you can draw then you'll have no problems!