Login   Sign Up 

• Newcomer
    by piplarkin at 19:20 on 11 June 2007
    Hello. I've been browsing this site for years and always thought it looked very helpful but never actually joined. However, I just did an internet search along the lines of "How not to go completely bonkers whilst working from home" and the consensus seemed to be that writer's forums are the way. And a damn site more productive than the alternative.(Neat whiskey.)(Well, okay, Yorkshire Tea.)

I've been a freelance writer for about seven years but the past year and a half-ish I've been working solidly from home and making time to focus on writing fiction. (I'll be attempting to find that forum next...). I'm currently working on a novel which I plan to have finished by the end of the year. I have a quote on my PC by Kurt Vonnegut which says "Talent is extremely common. What is rare is the willingness to endure the life of a writer. It is like making wallpaper by hand for the Sistine Chapel.” I love writing but most days, I know what he means.
  • Re: Newcomer
    by Sappholit at 19:29 on 11 June 2007
    Hi!

I just saw that you'd joined and clicked on your profile cos I liked your username, and then your profile made me laugh, so . . .

Welcome to WW!

by Nik Perring at 19:46 on 11 June 2007
    Indeed! Welcome aboard.

Nik.
    by Dee at 19:55 on 11 June 2007
    Hello Nicola, and welcome to WW.

That plimsoll incident… was it you who chucked a trainer, complete with dismembered foot into Morecambe Bay in 1987???

Dee

by Myrtle at 20:37 on 11 June 2007
    Welcome, Nicola! Was it your foot?
    by piplarkin at 20:56 on 11 June 2007
    That plimsoll incident… was it you who chucked a trainer, complete with dismembered foot into Morecambe Bay in 1987???

No. Blimey, they were strict with the netball-dodgers in Morecambe, though, weren't they?
    That's the last time I go paddling.

Thanks for your hellos. Are you all full forum members? Do you find it helpful? How's your writing going?

by sazzyjack at 11:12 on 12 June 2007
    Welcome to WW Nicola.
    I'm a full member and just wanted to say that for me, joining up was the best thing I ever did. In the 17 months since I joined, my writing has improved so much, and I've also learned a huge amount about the publishing industry etc.
    You'll find that WW is full of writers at every stage of their careers, from beginners, to published authors with a few novels under their belts, and everything in between. We support one another, we crit one another's work, and when we feel like chilling out, we go to The Lounge and have a chat. (That's where it all kicks off )
    There are also the Jobs and Opps page, and the Directory which are very useful.
    Sorry, I sound like a sales person, don't I? I just genuinely love this site. Like you, I work from home, and if it wasn't for WW, I think I would have gone slowly insane a while back.
    Hope to see you around the forums.
    BTW, if you want to upload some work, the best way to get feedback is to join a group, if you haven't already. It's a good way to get to know some of the members as well.
    Saz
    by EmmaD at 12:19 on 12 June 2007
    Hi, Nicola, and welcome to WW. I think everyone's said everything I would have, so do get stuck in.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 10:09 on 13 June 2007
    Welcome, Nicola!

Casey