Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Hullo from a newcomer
    by MsHolmes at 00:10 on 10 May 2007
    Hi all,

I've just joined up for the month's trial after browsing this site for several hours today. I'm really impressed by the friendly and supportive atmosphere that you've all created.

I've been writing, on and off, since I started secondary school although if I'm going to be brutal about this, most of it's been pretty dire stuff. Nonetheless, my Dad told me I had a book in me and so a book I'm determined to write!

I recently came across a novel I started in 2003, lying forgotten and dusty in the My Documents folder of an ancient laptop. I pulled the poor thing out of a den of bad poetry and witless short stories, because I still think the concept has some promise (even though the writing certainly doesn't).
    I've hacked it up and cheerfully deleted most of it and started doing what I should have done all along: creating plans and plots, and using those email questionnaires I'm so fond of to build the characters. It's a bit like starting an AD&D game as a kid, but with less acne and better handwriting this time!

I'm a rotten geeky sort of a person and spend much of my time behind a laptop, poking code and drinking coffee. Nonetheless I hope to find some friends here, as I'm absolutely dedicated to getting this story on paper and I know I'm going to be in need of some like-minded people to talk to if I'm to see it through to the end.

Best wishes,
    Samantha x
  • Re: Hullo from a newcomer
    by Luisa at 09:50 on 10 May 2007
    Hi Samantha, welcome to WriteWords! I hope you like it here.

I love the sound of your work-in-progress - character-building questionnaires sound great. Looking forward to reading an extract some time. (Maybe. No pressure!)

Have fun with it!

Luisa
    x
    by Myrtle at 10:13 on 10 May 2007
    Welcome, Samantha! Hope you find the site as helpful as I have . . . (helpful, addictive, friendly, heated, a lifesaver, etc!). Good luck with your work-in-progress - you might like to join a group for extra support.

Emily
    by debac at 10:43 on 10 May 2007
    Hi Samantha, and welcome. I'm very much in favour of geeks...

Deb
    by NMott at 10:57 on 10 May 2007
    Hi Samantha, if you've got a spare minute or two, drop by the Humour/Comedy forum and try your hand at the New Yorker's Caption contest

All the best,

NaomiM
    by Nik Perring at 13:35 on 10 May 2007
    Welcome aboard, Samantha.

If you need help with anything then give either me or Dee a shout.

Nik.
    by MsHolmes at 13:41 on 10 May 2007
    Thank you for the warm welcome; I'm glad to meet you all. I'll reply paragraph per message rather than lots of little messages - I think the latter would be a bit of a cheat on the old post-count score!

The novel's a bit of a fantasy stint, with a touch of humour here and there. Sadly though, for Blackadder III fans, it doesn't have any sizzling hot gypsies thrown in. Well, not yet anyway. What kind of work are you writing?

Anyway, I'll probably join the Fantasy group to start with, as I think it fits the plot best. You can only join one group when on the trial - if it doesn't suit your novel, is it possible to switch and try another group?

What kind of geek are you, Deb? Any software programming history in your background? Many teenage hours spent glued to Dr Who, Star Trek and Babylon 5? :D

If I've got access, I'll have a go at the Caption contest; sounds fun!

Samantha x
    by Account Closed at 14:02 on 10 May 2007
    Welcome, Samantha,

Yes, you can always join a group and if it doesn't suit you feel free to try another - everyone is pretty laidback on WriteWords.

Well done for taking the leap and joining a writing site. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here

Casey
    by Nik Perring at 14:12 on 10 May 2007
    Yes, you can always join a group and if it doesn't suit you feel free to try another

I'm not certain you can if you're on a free trial. I think you have to be a member to be able to do that. I think.

We'd be glad to have you over in fantasy, Samantha. Hopefully see you over there soon.

Nik.
    by Account Closed at 17:36 on 10 May 2007
    Ah, yes, i was thinking of if she joined full-time - which you will be, won't you Samantha?
    by MsHolmes at 19:12 on 10 May 2007
    Definitely! I'm going to have a lovely freeeeeee month, cause I can't help being a bit of a pikey, and then count me in for the full community membership.
    by Nik Perring at 19:36 on 10 May 2007
    Great stuff. Hopefully see you round the site. Hope you enjoy the fantasy group!

Nik.
    by Dee at 08:16 on 11 May 2007
    Welcome, Samantha!

I'm going to have a lovely freeeeeee month

That’s what they all say… but you can't resist… you just get soooooo curious about what’s going on in the lounge… mwhaha.

Dee
    by MsHolmes at 09:40 on 11 May 2007
    No fair! Don't tell me about something I can't see, that's soooo mean! :D
    by debac at 12:19 on 11 May 2007
    What kind of geek are you, Deb?

Just a general kind of geek. I'm married to a software programmer, and I've always been surrounded by them - my dad, my brother, two ex-partners, ex-housemates etc etc. I studies Physics at uni and am geeky about words. I think I take a geeky approach to most things, really. I like playing board games and other things most people think are dull!

I do like Star Trek - esp Original Series and Voyager, and I've been loving Battlestar Galactica just lately. I do watch Dr Who because my husband likes it, but it seems a bit kiddy lately - I preferred Christopher Ecclestone as the Doctor.

So you're a programmer yourself?

Deb
  • This 21 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >