Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Advise please..... Open University for BA (Hons) Literature
    by treacy73 at 22:42 on 02 April 2007
    hello all

I wanting to study for a degree in BA (Hons) Literature and Psychology.

However I've a few problems on my plate - I'm skint, deaf with a bunch of clingy kids. The lack of money puts me off, but I can get some help (or so I've been told). Being deaf means I will have a hard time studying on campus (a University class room) everyday. And then there's my 3 kids, they're clingy little brats (too many times I've put off study because of them and eldest child's ill health).

I've be told my best option would be to study with Open University - as a distance learning course which I would only attain a campus ground when needed. I've been looking at their website and it seems fine. As I also have deep interest in Psychology, I may have to work for an open degree, if I wish to combine them.

Has anyone here every studied BA Literature with Open university? If so how good are they? I ask as this seem to be my only option at the moment.

Any advise is welcome.........

xx Treacy
  • Re: Advise please..... Open University for BA (Hons) Literature
    by Nik Perring at 23:33 on 02 April 2007
    Hi and welcome to the site.

One of the girls who's in my Writing Group is studying with the OU (not literature) and she says it's brilliant - and she doesn't have to go to any of the tutorials at all. Sounds like the way to go.

Sorry that's not much help. I'm sure there'll be others who can tell you more.

Cheers,

Nik.
    by Luisa at 00:07 on 03 April 2007
    Hi, I studied Computing with the Open University and it was great. They have virtual classrooms - a bit like WriteWords, really - and (usually) local tutors who run entirely optional tutorials.

I'd definitely recommend the Open University, but I don't have any knowledge of their modules except some of the Computing ones. I do know that they go out of their way to help students in all departments.

The disadvantage of the OU is that it takes a long time. I never did finish the Diploma I was studying for (I'm a quarter of a unit short!), but it didn't really matter because I learnt what I wanted to and it's all been entirely useful. I think the OU has a higher dropout rate than other universities, probably because its students typically have so many other commitments.

Good luck!

Luisa

<Added>

"it takes a long time" I mean, to complete a degree.
    by ZK at 01:04 on 03 April 2007
    I did my degree (in psychology!) with the OU, and found it excellent. As an organisation, it's very aware of disability and does its best to accommodate it. (I was listed as disabled so do have experience.) It's also generous with funding for those who are less than well-off, so it might be worth exploring the options it offers.

The course content generally was second to none, and has often been adapted for use at other universities. You may have problems with the summer schools, but you can apply for exemption if you think they are likely to be beyond you, but I found them to be incredibly important, because the study regime generally can be very isolating.

As far as literature goes, I found the foundation course to be very wide-ranging. It offered a good grounding which begged to be explored later, and I wish now that I'd stuck with that route instead of allowing myself to be sidetracked into Social Sciences.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it. As Luisa says, it does take a long time, but I can honestly say, it changed my life.

Zoe
    by Account Closed at 08:12 on 03 April 2007
    Hi Treacy,

I did an Arts degree with the OU which included a little English Literature. It was EXCELLENT, and I would recommend it without hesitation. I did it before I had a computer, and hand-wrote all my essays, so can't comment on the virtual side of things, but I could have done the whole degree without ever going to a tutorial, or meeting a tutor. The materials they send are first class, and actually all you need. However, going to tutorials, and meeting up with other students was a real bonus - for moral support if nothing else.

The OU always comes out very well in the league tables (I think it's assessed by the Higher Education Funding Council, or something). Everyone I've ever met who's had experience of it always speaks positively about it. One of the great things about it, is its flexibility, ie. it can be fitted in around other commitments; however, the work load is huge, and demanding. Friends of mine with degrees from conventional universities who've done some of the OU undergraduate courses for fun ('fun' - ha)have been quite overwhelmed at the quantity of work required, and the level - it's not an easy option, especially, I suspect, compared to some of the 'dumbed-down' degrees on offer elsewhere these days. But it's well respected and the validity of its qualifications is very safe.

From what I've heard from other people, the English Lit courses are very good; certainly they were 10 - 15 years when I was doing it all, and I can't imagine they've suddenly got worse!

Ok - I'd better stop now - that's the trouble, you ask an ex-student about the OU, and you get an essay! It may be worth considering not taking on too many courses/points to start with, but feeling your way a bit to start with - just a thought.
    Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Poppy x

by debac at 10:14 on 03 April 2007
    I haven't got personal experience but I've heard glowing reports of the OU. They appear to be very highly thought of.

Deb