Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Going back to agents
    by aubry at 12:44 on 16 March 2007
    Hello
    I've been a member of WW for some time and have found comments and observations by other members invaluable. This is the first time I've asked a question and would really like to know what other members think. Basically, the situation is this:
    A few years ago I wrote a comic crime novel which attracted a lot of attention from a big agency (PFD). They decided ultimately not to go with it but I wasn't too upset as it was a first novel and the final feedback was really encouraging. The second novel I wrote was still crime but not comic. This one also caught the attention of a big agency (Curtis Brown) who asked for the full manuscript. Again, they decided not to go with it in the end. I had a think about it and then contacted the first agent to ask if she would read it but she wasn't interested. I'm now working on my third novel which is comic crime again and wondering if I would be a fool to go back yet again to the first agent or if she's likely to be fed up with me, having spent so much time on the first book and it coming to nothing.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences?
  • Re: Going back to agents
    by Sappholit at 12:54 on 16 March 2007
    I would just send it to as many agents as you can bear to.

Send it to everyone - big, middle-sized and small. If you've had interest before, you'll get it again. It's just a question of persevering until it gets under the nose of the right person.

Good luck.
    by Colin-M at 12:59 on 16 March 2007
    She's more likely to show more interest and decide if you are improving as a writer - so even if she still fails to take it on, she might request more. It's a great way to build up a relationship with an agent.
    by Lammi at 13:14 on 16 March 2007
    God, yes, I'd go back to anyone who's given you previous encouragement. And (professional) persistence shows you're a committed writer.

Make sure you've tried all the likely agents, though, before you put a ms to bed. Don't let just one or two rejections make you decide a piece is unplaceable.
    by EmmaD at 13:17 on 16 March 2007
    Yes, I'd agree, send it to them, reminding them that they liked early work, but also send it to everyone else who might possibly be interested. If you're getting two good agents who are interested-but-no, then there'll be someone out there who gets to the point of interested-and-yes.

Emma

<Added>

I kept my writers morale up, and kept writing, for years of interested-but-no, until finally it all came together.
    by Account Closed at 13:21 on 16 March 2007
    Ooh, and don't forget that even if you're rejected by ALL the agents, a novel may still find a place with a direct submission to a publisher - as happened with my latest!

Don't necessarily believe what the "experts" (in huge inverted commas) say ...!

A
    xxx
    by Colin-M at 13:27 on 16 March 2007
    The other thing to consider is that the opening of your book and synopsis have been strong enough to catch their eye. Perhaps the rest of the book hasn't had the same attention and just needs kicking into shape. Some people sing the praises of editorial services to help out spotting the flaws that agents don't have the time to discuss.
    by aubry at 13:30 on 16 March 2007
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I have tried other agents with both books but, apart from one or two vaguely encouraging comments, nobody else was interested. I suppose I'm at the stage where the (by now, quite a few) rejections have made me wonder if I'll be forever in the ranks of 'nearly good enough but never quite made it'. I try to keep positive by thinking 'well, at least two agents liked my work so maybe it will happen one day. Belonging to WW helps a lot.
    by aubry at 13:35 on 16 March 2007
    Thanks for that, it's really good advice. I'll go back and look at those opening chapters with a fresh eye.
    by Lammi at 13:43 on 16 March 2007
    Anne (Holly) makes an excellent point. Good luck!
    by EmmaD at 13:46 on 16 March 2007
    Aubry (welcome to WW, by the way!) I think Colin's got a really good point, there: it may be that things tail off or lose focus later in the MS. A lot of writers find that early chapters are much worked over (not least, but not only, for the submission process), and the later ones, where in some ways it comes more easily, never get that real magnifying-glass of attention that's needed to keep everything really compelling. And yes, you may find that an editorial eye is very helpful, though with this particular problem you would definitely need them to look at the whole thing, which isn't cheap.

Emma
    by nessiec at 17:36 on 16 March 2007
    I think we've all had a lot of rejections on here, and we're all still at it! good luck with the submissions.
    by Account Closed at 18:43 on 16 March 2007
    A lot of writers find that early chapters are much worked over (not least, but not only, for the submission process), and the later ones, where in some ways it comes more easily, never get that real magnifying-glass of attention that's needed to keep everything really compelling.

I think this is very true. I'm editing right now and, the deeper I get into the book, the more sentences I'm changing.
    by NMott at 18:57 on 16 March 2007
    Hi Aubry,

I found your comment about writing comic crime novels very interesting. I'm attempting to do something similar, although more Four Weddings and a Funeral/Keeping Mum, than Pink Panther. What sort are yours?

Snowbell asked a question in the lounge about Handling comedy in novels. We're a bit stumped for an answer and we'd value your input: http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/51_127712.asp

You're very welcome to join us in the Comedy/Humour forum.

- NaomiM
    by aubry at 09:36 on 17 March 2007
    Naomi, you asked what my book was about - actually, good question! Following on from Colin's comment, I've thought about it and realised that while it starts well it doesn't actually really go anywhere. It's about a woman who thinks that her husband is trying to kill her and then doesn't ... see what I mean?! With regard to handling humour in fiction, I don't really write about funny things that happen, it's more observational if that makes sense.
  • This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >