Login   Sign Up 

• Absolute Beginner!
    by SyedShahid at 18:38 on 12 February 2007
    hey everyone,

i have just joined this site and dunno where to start! i have never really written anything before and was just wondering if i can please ask for some help with getting started? need to get my thought process going.....would really appreciate any help i can get.

thanks.

syed.
  • Re: Absolute Beginner!
    by JenDom at 19:09 on 12 February 2007
    Hello!

Come and join the Beginners Group!

Jen
    x
    by Dee at 19:28 on 12 February 2007
    Hello Syed, and welcome.

Jen is right – join the Beginners group and just jump in. If you need any guidance on anything to do with finding your way round the site, Nik Perring and I are site hosts. You can either post a question in a forum – go for the Newcomers one if you're not sure – or you can WWmail Nik or myself if you prefer to keep it private.

Dee
    by Nik Perring at 00:04 on 13 February 2007
    Hi Syed and welcome! I'll echo what Dee and Jen have said. As far as actually writing goes just jump in. Think of something or a character you wat to write about and just, write.

Here's (briefly) what I tell children when I run workshops. The same principles apply.

1. Think of a character. Identify what they're like. What do they like? What are their favourite things? Where do they live? What's their world like?

2. Think of the worst thing that could happen to them (their CONFLICT).

3. Start your story when said worst thing has happened or is about to.

How they react to this, and the conclusion, is the story.

Remember the thee Cs:

CHARACTER
    CONFLICT
    CONCLUSION.

Looking forward to reading. Best of luck with it!

Nik.
    by Katerina at 19:32 on 13 February 2007
    Syed,

Hi there, I'm so glad you took my advice and joined this wonderful site.

Everyone is so friendly, and you've had some good advice already, which I echo. Join the beginners group, and ask for help, people are only too willing to give the benefit of their wisdom and knowledge.

The site hosts are great at what they do, as is everyone else.

You know that you can email me if you want any advice too, so get stuck in and enjoy yourself.

Do you have a particular genre that you want to write in? Read lots of books, not just your chosen genre, but as wide a range as you can, you never know, you might find something else which interests you.

Good luck

Katerina
    by SyedShahid at 13:30 on 14 February 2007
    hey everyone! thanks a lot for all ur advice, i really appreciate it!

the beginner's group sounds like a great idea! i am on the trial membership and therefore can't sign up to it but i reckon im going to become a full member because this site is definitely worth the £35 a year!

will start writing soon so that i can upload something to get ur input.

thanks once again for being so friendly!

syed.
    by Nik Perring at 15:50 on 14 February 2007
    Looking forward to it!

Nik.