Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • just a question
    by JenDom at 12:28 on 05 February 2007
    Hello

I feel silly asking this but what is the difference between a Prologue and a Preface? I'm sure it's obvious!

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask this!

Jen[not quite a newbie but very much a beginner!]
    x
  • Re: just a question
    by EmmaD at 12:32 on 05 February 2007
    The only difference I can think of is that Prefaces happen in non-fiction, and Prologues in fiction - anyone else know?

Emma
    by Colin-M at 12:33 on 05 February 2007
    A prologue is an introduction, but forms an intergral part of the novel - written by the author as part of the book.

A preface is an intoduction that is seperate from the novel, ie a note by the editor or the person responsible for putting together an anthology.

I think
    by JenDom at 12:44 on 05 February 2007
    Thanks Emma and Colin-M.

So both are introductions to a body of work but used in different contexts?

Jen
    x

by EmmaD at 12:58 on 05 February 2007
    I'm sure Colin's right - that makes lots of sense.

Though exactly what the rankings are of preface, foreword and introduction, I'm not sure! But you usually only get them all together in academic work.

Emma
    by EmmaD at 13:09 on 05 February 2007
    Hm, I'm curious now

Hart's rules:

a preface is where the author sets out the circumstances in which s/he came to write the book. May include acknowledgements. It's part of the prelims (the front matter of copyright page, contents pages etc.), and is therefore numbered in lower case roman numerals.

a foreword is written by someone other than the author, recommending the book, and is also part of the prelims

an introduction is part of the main body of the text, often addressing the argument of the whole book. Numbered in arabic as part of the main sequence of pages, except when it's by the editor of an edition of a work.

Neither Hart nor Butcher give prologue, but OED says:
    a prologue is the preface or introduction to a literary or musical work, an introductory speech or short poem addressed to the audience by one of the actors in a play, a preliminary act, event, etc.

<Added>

It seems to me it's the 'preliminary act or event' that's often when fiction writers would use a prologue - something in some way set apart from the main story.
    by JenDom at 13:26 on 05 February 2007
    Hello again

OH I should have asked here first! The reason I asked was that I very stupidly commented on a preface to a biog in the Intro your Work forum and looks like I just got it all horribly wrong! I have apologised.

Oh dear.

Jen
    x
    by Colin-M at 13:49 on 05 February 2007
    Whoops! Never mind, I've jumped in headfirst too many times to remember. The worst crime is to march in with guns ablazing on a crit, forgetting that they author has ticked the "not too harsh" box.
    by JenDom at 14:16 on 05 February 2007
    I'm so mortified!

Oh dear!

Jen
    x
    by EmmaD at 15:57 on 05 February 2007
    Jen, don't worry we've all posted things and regretted them, either as we've clicked 'post', or later. You can always post an apology, if you really feel the need to clear your conscience. But I do think that most of the time WWers are very good at taking comments in the spirit they were intended!

Emma
    by JenDom at 16:06 on 05 February 2007
    Yes, I've apologised profusely!

Thanks for clearing up the prologue/preface /foreword thing btw. Very interesting and enlightening!

Jen
    x
    by di2 at 21:44 on 05 February 2007
    Hello everyone, it was my biographical preface that caused the hic-cup. I've just written a reply to Jen so she won't worry. I think its great when someone takes the time to read and comment on our work. I too have jumped in and then after posting my comment realised a huge whoooops!

So Jen don't be concerned. And don't let it inhibit you from commenting on your fellow members' work, its OK. Really.

I've been working on my piece over and over for ages. It was only recently that I decided it might be a preface. I went hunting for the definition and once I saw it I thought YEP that's it.

I know I haven't got it right yet so anyone who is interested to have a go at a comment I would be most grateful. Go on I can take it!

Here's the Link http://www.writewords.org.uk/archive/16866.asp

Di2
    by JenDom at 22:39 on 05 February 2007
    Thanks Di2!

Jen
    x
    by Prospero at 04:20 on 07 February 2007
    Correct me if I am wrong but I think WW'ers have matured a lot in that there seem to be fewer Flame Wars.

Perhaps at last people have realised that we all put our foot in it from time to time and it is more our enthusiam for our subject and the need to comment and move on (no time for our own writing otherwise) rather than any bad intent.

Best

John
    by EmmaD at 07:44 on 07 February 2007
    I don't think you're wrong at all, John and I, for one, think it's a nicer place to be as a result. Some people may think a ruck is fun (I don't) but it doesn't actually improve anyone's writing.

Emma

<Added>

Oops. Second comma missing from the vocative, there! ;)
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >