Login   Sign Up 

• Group forums etiquette
    by debac at 14:58 on 24 January 2007
    I seem to be able to comment to Group forums when I'm not a member of that group.

Is it okay to do so or is it inappropriate?

Thanks. Sorry I keep asking questions.

Deb
  • Re: Group forums etiquette
    by Katerina at 15:09 on 24 January 2007
    Yes, I don't think anyone will mind you taking part in group threads, we often pop into a group other than our own if we find the thread of interest.

What you won't be able to do, is read work that is uploaded for the group members to see only.

But, why don't you join a group, then you can comment on people's work and maybe upload some of your own for comments. It'll give you a good idea of how things work then.

Welcome to the site by the way

Katerina
    by debac at 15:18 on 24 January 2007
    Thanks Katerina - that's very helpful, and thanks for the welcome... :-)

I want to join a group but am not sure which one to join since both "novel" ones are full.

I'm currently writing my first novel which is meant to be at the accessible end of literary. I'd really prefer to be in a novel-specific group, since then people will read my uploads as novel excerpts rather than sometimes mistaking them for short stories.

Any suggestions which group might be suitable?

Someone has suggested I keep checking Novel 1 and Novel 2 for vacancies.

Thanks again,

Deb
    by Katerina at 15:21 on 24 January 2007
    Well, what genre are you writing in? You can then join that group. Over in Women's Fiction, we are all writing novels, and we upload chapter by chapter - not straight ones, but different chapters, and no-one mistakes them for short stories.

People get to know the story and the characters, enjoy commenting and it works very well.

Katerina
    by debac at 15:36 on 24 January 2007
    I like the sound of how the Women's Fiction group operates but not sure mine fits into that.

It doesn't fit into one of the really obvious genres like crime or sci-fi. I always say it's aiming to be accessible literary. It's contemporary.

I'll think some more. I guess it doesn't matter if I'm not a perfect fit, does it?

Thanks,

Deb
    by Account Closed at 15:54 on 24 January 2007
    Don't worry too much, Deb, you can always leave a group without any problem, if it's not right for you, and try another one.

Sometimes people do this if they can't keep up with all the critting of other people's work, as long as you announce your departure!

Casey
    by Dee at 15:59 on 24 January 2007
    I seem to be able to comment to Group forums when I'm not a member of that group.

That’s fine. No one objects to anyone pitching in. You can also comment on work posted to groups you're not a member of. If you can see it, then the author is open to feedback from as many people as possible.

Dee
    by Account Closed at 10:33 on 25 January 2007
    I always say it's aiming to be accessible literary. It's contemporary.

That's what I write - if you can't join a group, no matter - just start chatting away in the lounge and people'll soon start critting your work just cos they've got to know you a bit.

Sam
    by debac at 13:34 on 25 January 2007
    Hi Sam. What group are you in, out of interest? I have now joined Women's Fiction after it was recommended to me, despite mine not being women's particularly.

Deb
    by debac at 14:10 on 25 January 2007
    Oh, I see now how to check what groups people are in. Sorry for being newbieish.

Deb