Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Starting a group and how groups work
    by debac at 13:21 on 24 January 2007
    I'm interested in taking part in a novel group but atm both the main ones are full, so I was wondering how difficult it is to start one.

I gather anyone can do so, but what would I actually be committing to? I realise it would make more sense to join one and see how it works first, but my interests are currently pretty specific so I'd prefer not to join one which wasn't suitable.

What is your role as leader? Who decides frequency of postings and length of postings? What is the norm (frequency/length) on WriteWords? Are there any general guidelines about how the groups work or it entirely up to the leader and members to decide?

If I've missed this info in a FAQ somewhere then by all means point me in that direction rather than explain... many thanks.

I do have some experience running a online writers' group by email, so this isn't entirely new to me, but obviously this is a bit different...

Deb :-)
  • Re: Starting a group and how groups work
    by snowbell at 13:24 on 24 January 2007
    Why don't you WW the site hosts Debac, I'm sure they could help - Dee Weaver and Nik Perring. They are both on the Newcomers Forum.
    by Dee at 14:12 on 24 January 2007
    Hi Deb,

I'm afraid it’s not that easy to start a new group. Only the site administrators (mainly David Bruce and Anna Reynolds) can do that, and normally it depends on the level of demand, and whether or not an existing group could fulfil the role. Group members are expected to be active and to give feedback to the rest of the group. If they remain inactive for more than three months (usually – in Flash Fiction it’s a month because they’re very fast-moving groups) they’re removed from the group to allow someone else to take their place – so keep checking. Most groups are pretty fluid.

You have to apply to be a group host – although I've never heard of anyone being refused – the job is fairly relaxed, keep an eye on things, encourage other members – it depends on the group dynamics really.

Frequency of posting is strictly regulated across the whole site. You can only post one piece of work every two days at the most. This rule was introduced a while ago to keep posted work on the front page of the archive as long as possible. The length? There’s no official restriction but, in practice, the shorter the piece the more feedback you’ll get. It takes time to critique someone else’s work, and long pieces can be daunting.

Hope this helps. Like I said on your other thread – anything you want to know, just ask away.

Dee

by debac at 14:36 on 24 January 2007
    Thanks Snowbell.

Deb
    by debac at 14:42 on 24 January 2007
    Thanks Dee - that's really helpful.

When I said "start my own group" I was referring to where it says you can apply to do so on the Groups main page. And I was only wondering about the possibility since there was no suitable novel group with spaces, but I shall watch for spaces arising as you've suggested.

So do people just post work in the groups whenever they feel like it, or is there a routine? For instance, in the online email writers' group I'm involved in running we post every month and have to feedback within the month. Is it far more fluid here - you just post when you want and people feedback when and if they can?

Thanks,

Deb
    by Katerina at 15:13 on 24 January 2007
    As an alternative, why don't you join a group for the genre you write in? For instance Crime if you write crime, or Women's Fiction - they are a lovely lot there - if you write that genre.

Katerina

<Added>

PS In a group, you can upload work for comments as and when you want, but you have to wait for two days in between uploads. So if you upload something today, then want to take it off and put up something else, you couldn't do it tomorrow, you'd have to wait until the next day.

We usually leave something up for a while to enable everyone to comment on it if they wish, but it's up to you to do it when you want.

by debac at 15:20 on 24 January 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions - it's really helpful to me and makes me feel very welcome... :-)

However I don't really fit into any of those genres that I can see. I will go and have another look.

Deb
    by Dee at 15:41 on 24 January 2007
    Well, ‘apply to start a group’ is more like ‘hey, David, how about a group for people who write articles about refuse disposal trucks (believe me, I do know someone!) and DB will see if there is enough interest. If there is, he’ll open a new group.

What is it that you're writing?

Dee
    by Dee at 15:51 on 24 January 2007
    Deb, I've emailed DB to ask him if there's anyone who can be pruned out of one of the novel groups - so keep watching them!

Dee
    by debac at 16:04 on 24 January 2007
    Oh thanks! Only just saw your msg.

Katerina emailed me and has encouraged me to try Women's Fiction, so I have now applied.

I would feel bad now if someone was chucked out of one of the Novels groups on my account if I'm going elsewhere.

Deb
    by Dee at 16:20 on 24 January 2007
    Don’t worry about it. David won’t chuck anyone out unless they’re seriously dormant – and even then they can re-apply.

Dee
    by debac at 17:25 on 24 January 2007
    Oh good.

I didn't mean to sound as if I was complaining about not being able to get into the two novel groups - just wasn't sure what was my next step and whether asking for a new group was pretty normal or not...!

I have now joined Women's Fiction and everyone seems really friendly.

Thanks to all of you for being so helpful - much appreciated.

Deb