Login   Sign Up 

This 23 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • WriteWords Welcome Newcomers
    by david bruce at 16:30 on 04 January 2007
    We've created this new forum for newcomers to the site - this is a forum where you can feel free to ask any questions about how the site works.
  • Re: WriteWords Welcome Newcomers
    by Dee at 16:46 on 04 January 2007
    Great idea, David. Will newcomers be directed to it when they join?

Dee
    by EmmaD at 16:50 on 04 January 2007
    Great idea, David!

Emma
    by Jem at 17:01 on 04 January 2007
    Excellent idea, David!
    by Nik Perring at 17:08 on 04 January 2007
    Fantastic idea!

Nik.
    by Account Closed at 17:31 on 04 January 2007
    Good idea. Will be interesting to see if it irons out the problems we discussed for newcomers, eg uploading huge chunks when they first join. I'm sure it will and it's also a good way for newcomers to 'meet' eachother.

Casey
    by NMott at 19:29 on 04 January 2007
    Excellent idea, David.
    by JenDom at 23:21 on 04 January 2007
    Hey!!

Wish this was here when I first joined in August 2005! It was getting lonesome in the beginners but I'm getting used to it now. I think I've ended up talking to and sending myself emails! *g* [that sounds really sad doesn't it? I see men in white coats coming for me now as I write]! But I guess the beginners group is different to newcomers forum!

I remembered how I was when I first joined WW. Being over awed and confused easily I sort of lost my way here because I really didn't know what's what, the protocols etc and I am only getting into the spirit of things four months later!

I think the main thing for me is that when I paid up, the site encourages you to upload your work. No word count limit is specified, giving the impression that it's a free for all!What I didn't know is [and I guess that's for some newbies too] that uploading a big chunk of your work the second you join seems to be frowned upon here.

Anyway! Any forum with the words, 'welcome' and 'newcomers' should ease those just joined and that has got to be a good thing!

So thumbs up and great idea! And it's good to know one can set up a forum just like that! See? I'm already learning something new about this site.

Jen

by Sibelius at 11:21 on 05 January 2007
    I wonder if it is possible to pin certain threads that newcomers might be interested in. For example tips on protocol (the one that annoys me is when someone uploads a story or piece of writing and gets feedback but never bothers to say thanks or take the time to comment on others' work).

Just a thought.
    by Dee at 17:09 on 05 January 2007
    Jen, there is no wordcount limit. It’s just that reading and commenting on a long piece of work is time-consuming, and it’s difficult to guess how the new member will react. (sometimes they really can’t take it ) Once you’ve built up a network of friends who know your work you can be a bit more confident of the feedback to expect on a long piece.

I'm glad you're finding your way around, but you know where Nik and I are if you need a guide.

Dee
    by Dee at 17:15 on 05 January 2007
    Hi Sibs, good idea.

If DB can add something like that to the welcome page, I’d be happy to get together with Nik (hopefully he’ll be happy too!) to compile a list.

Dee
    by rickstar at 14:06 on 13 January 2007
    Hi.I`m a newcomer...anyone out there?
    by sazzyjack at 14:54 on 13 January 2007
    Hi rickstar,
    welcome to the site. I know it can be a little daunting at first but dive right in and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone is really friendly and Nik and Dee are site hosts, so they are here to lend a helping hand to newcomers. If you want to upload a piece of work and get specific feedback, you should look at joining a group if you haven't already done so.
    Welcome again.
    Best,
    Saz
    by EmmaD at 15:43 on 13 January 2007
    Hello Rickstar, and welcome to the site. As Sazzyjack says, have a good nose round and ask for help if you need it.

Emma
    by Dee at 16:09 on 13 January 2007
    Hello Rickstar, and welcome to WW. Sorry I wasn’t around earlier; my laptop committed hari-kari in a pretty spectacular way last night, so I’ve had to go out and buy a new PC – it’s gorgeous – and I've only just got back on line.

Have a browse around the forums. If you sign up you’ll be able to see the group forums, and join us in the Lounge where we relax and chat – and sometimes have a ruck, but it’s all good fun.

If you need any help, post a question in the Newcomers forum. Alternatively, if you’d prefer to keep it private, you can WWmail either Nik or myself – or both of us if you like. We both understand this site can seem a bit daunting at first, so we’re more than happy to help.

Dee
  • This 23 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >