Login   Sign Up 

• Writing TV Drama
    by Red Monkey at 19:47 on 28 August 2005
    If you fancy a week in a gorgeous castle in Scotland -lovley surroundings, gorgeous food, great company - learning how to write scripts for TV drama with a freelance scriptwriter, Jane McNulty (EastEnders, Doctors, Heartbeat etc)why not have a look at www.castleofpark.net? Course runs 10th - 16th Sept inc.
  • Re: Writing TV Drama
    by Terry Edge at 20:14 on 28 August 2005
    Hi Jane,

Welcome to the site.

For everyone else, I'd just like to say that Jane is not only a regular scriptwriter on many popular TV shows, she's a first-rate tutor/editor. She was my senior tutor when we were both tutoring for the Open College of the Arts and often went out of her way to give tutors like me encouraging feed-back (against the policy of the College, I might add), and to fight for better pay and conditions.

For all you TV writers out there, let me tell you that she really knows her stuff. Recently, she wrote a report for me on a couple of my sitcoms and it was outstanding. She highlighted the elements that worked and put her finger on everything that didn't – explaining exactly why and giving me great suggestions for fixing it. I was smiling as I read that report, simply because it was so refreshing to have one's work given such a thorough going-over by someone who clearly knows what she's doing. For a writer, that kind of report is gold dust. It can save you years of writing up blind alleys and help you take great leaps forward.

If anyone's thinking of attending that course Jane mentions, I'm sure you'll get a huge amount from it. I know Jane's prepared a really great course, not only on the writing side but also providing experience of different stages of the script-writing process, like script conferences.

Okay, I'll stop embarrassing you now. Just to say it's great news for the site that you've joined.

Terry

P.S. Why 'Red Monkey'?