Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Great Booker Debate in Torquay, 14th October
    by Luisa at 00:50 on 24 September 2008
    The Great Booker Debate
    Join our panel of authors: Karl Gale, Luisa Plaja, Emma Seaman, Belinda Seaward, Kate Furnivall

Torquay Library, Lymington Road, Torquay TQ1 3DT
    Tuesday, 14 October 2008, 7:00PM - 8:30PM
    Tickets £2, available from Waterstone's in Torquay & Newton Abbot and Torquay Library. The ticket cost is redeemable against any purchase made on the night.

Join our panel for a glass of wine and hear their thoughts on which of the Booker Shortlisted titles are the best. Our panel is made up of 5 published authors plus a mystery guest and will be chaired by Paul Trainer from Torquay Library
  • Re: The Great Booker Debate in Torquay, 14th October
    by Myrtle at 06:50 on 24 September 2008
    Wish I could come!
    by Luisa at 20:37 on 10 October 2008
    Aw, it's been cancelled.

If anyone wants my opinion on the Booker shortlist, please ask.
    by Jem at 22:29 on 11 October 2008
    Luisa, I'm asking.
    by Luisa at 23:25 on 11 October 2008
    Oh no! I wasn't expecting anyone to reply.

Um... Give me a minute...

I'm sure I would have been great on the night, you know.
    by MF at 10:55 on 12 October 2008
    I thought the winner was going to be announced on the 14th?

Have only read one of the books (Sea of Poppies) although I did think that a couple of the others looked interesting...
    by Luisa at 11:51 on 12 October 2008
    Yes, the announcement of the winner is also on the night of the 14th.

For my thing, each panellist was given one book each to focus on. Mine was The Clothes On Their Backs by Linda Grant.

I'm writing about it now for Waterstone's, instead of talking about it.
    by Sappholit at 12:38 on 12 October 2008
    Oh, that's a shame it's been cancelled. I'm sure you'd have been brill, Luisa.
    by Jem at 17:46 on 12 October 2008
    Luisa, did you like it? I thought it was okay but not riveting. I don't know what was on the longlist and what didn't get on. I hope she wins though because I want to see what she'll be wearing in close up. I've been following the story of her 'What shall I wear?' on her blog.
    by Luisa at 21:01 on 12 October 2008
    I was surprised by the detail in that blog, but having read the book I'm much less surprised. I thought the book explored some fascinating issues, and I enjoyed it. There were parts I liked less, though, such as the way she skimmed over certain events and relationships.

Now I'm off to try and say that a lot more clearly!
    by NMott at 19:32 on 27 October 2008
    If anyone is interested in an online debate with one of the Man Booker prize judges - Louise Doughty - over the winning novel and it's close second (Barry's Irish novel), then it will be taking place on her blog at the Daily Telegraph's website first week of January - giving interested parties time to read both Novels.
    If anyone's interested, bookmark her blog and I'll try to remember to post a reminder when the debate starts:
    http://my.telegraph.co.uk/louisedoughty
    For further details see her blog post: Truth and beauty Friday, October 24, 2008

- NaomiM